Saturday, June 13, 2009

Miss Manners says...

The question was brought to Miss Manners about kids opening their presents at their birthday party. I have a young daughter that has been invited to kids birthday parties and did not know this was an issue. Miss Manners answered this question by stating she was wondering who thought this was a good idea in the first place. She thinks kids to "exclaim over everything" they receive and sometimes the guests feel "strain to conceal envy" if their gift does not measure up to the others. You can read the whole column for yourself - just click here.
I think we need to also teach our children to be happy with what they have and sometimes seeing others get things helps us teach them that. Also what is wrong with children saying "thank you" to the giver in person. As we all know most kids are happy with anything - okay any toys, so as far as them being disappointed about a gift - I don't see that happen too much. I guess things will stay the same at my house - my kids will open up their gifts in front of everyone, so just call me old fashion.